Smartwatch explodes causing third-degree burns on 4-year-old girl

Smartwatch explodes causing third-degree burns on 4-year-old girl

As the years go by, mobile devices are getting safer. Manufacturers are improving the designs of their products, including battery manufacturers, and the public has been educated about the potential dangers of using cheap third-party charging gear. Still, there will be occasional stories like this one about a four-year old girl who required painful skin grafts after her smartwatch exploded causing third-degree burns to the back of her hand.

The girl, who was identified by Yahoo News Australia by the name of Yiyi Huang, lives in the city of Quanzhou in the Chinese province of Fujian. Earlier this month, while Yiyi was playing with her younger cousin, her grandmother heard a loud bang followed by the sound of Yiyi screaming. When she ran into the room where the children were playing, the grandmother noticed that it was covered with dark smoke while a burning smell permeated the air, and smoke continued to come from the smartwatch still attached to Yiyi’s wrist.

After the device was removed from the child’s wrist, the extent of the damage to Yiyi’s hand was obvious and she was rushed to the hospital where she remains following the skin graft procedure. The name of the smartwatch manufacturer has not been revealed and Mr. Huang is said to be in talks with them over compensation for the incident.

Smartwatch explosions are rare and the most recent one we’ve written about took place in 2017 when a Fitbit Flex 2 exploded on the wrist of Dina Mitchell while she was reading a book. She was treated for second-degree burns as the device partially melted on her wrist. The company, now owned by Google parent Alphabet, offered the victim a replacement unit.

After an investigation, Fitbit found no malfunction on the part of its device. A company spokesman said days after the incident, “Based on our initial investigation, including testing of her device by a leading third-party failure analysis firm, we have concluded that Ms. Mitchell’s Fitbit Flex 2 did not malfunction. The testing shows that external forces caused the damage to the device.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *