When Apple introduced iOS 15, and subsequently released a public beta, it touted plenty of new features as the reason to update from whatever your current iPhone is running. Chief among those are a Safari browser redesign, Notification Summary and Focus, portrait mode FaceTime-ing, Health, Maps and Wallet apps getting trendy new features, and a whole lot more.
iOS 15 features support on iPhone 7, iPhone 8, iPhone 6s, iPhone X, and iPhone SE
- Home, office, hotel, car keys, and remote keyless entry controls: basically all the new Wallet app features are off-limits for older iPhones.
- Spatial audio during FaceTime: voices are spread out to sound like they’re coming from the direction in which they’re positioned on the call.
- Portrait mode: portrait mode in FaceTime blurs your background and puts the focus on you.
- Live Text and object recognition: interact with text and recognized objects or landmarks in live Camera previews, Photos, Screenshot, Quick Look, and Safari.
- Fast on-device speech processing: faster Siri, offline Timers & Alarms, Phone, Messaging, Sharing, App Launch, Control Audio Playback, and Settings control.
- Continuous on-device dictation.
- Interactive globe: interactive 3D globe in Maps, with extra mountain ranges, deserts, forests, oceans, etc., details.
- Immersive walking directions: step-by-step directions shown in augmented reality.
- Detailed city experience in Maps: San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, or London get high level of detail for roads, trees, buildings, or landmarks.
- New animated backgrounds in the Weather app: reflecting the sun position, clouds, or precipitation.
- Zoom in QuickTake video: swipe up or down while taking a QuickTake video to zoom in or out.
iOS 15 features support on iPhone 12, iPhone 11, and iPhone XR/XS
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 12 mini
- iPhone 12 Pro
- iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (2nd generation)
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 11 Pro
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR